For simplicity LinkedIn can be described as ‘Facebook for professionals’. Funny definition right? Yes, its intentional… If you are a professional and you want to be known for what you are good at, then you need a LinkedIn professional profile today.
Being on LinkedIn gives you the opportunity to access over 175 million professionals who use LinkedIn to exchange information, ideas and opportunities. It also, increases your visibility to recruiters and hiring managers.
As the need for hard-copy CVs are fading off, a professional LinkedIn profile is gradually replacing hard-copy CVs. LinkedIn is becoming a data-rich talent pool for professionals and now is the best time to be on LinkedIn.
In order to make your joining LinkedIn simple, follow the steps highlighted below:
1. Go to LinkedIn.com to signup for your FREE account: joining LinkedIn is FREE and all you need to do so, are your full name (first name and last name), email and password (minimum of 6 characters).
2. Start by providing a little information about yourself: go ahead to fill where you live, postal code and indicate if employed (with job title and company) or otherwise (any of job seeker or student).
3. Go ahead to confirm your e-mail: LinkedIn would need to confirm your email before your LinkedIn account can be activated. *The email to be used is not necessary a gmail account, as I used one for the sake of this demo.
4. Connect with people you know on LinkedIn: after the email confirmation, LinkedIn would look through your email contacts and find your friends that are already on LinkedIn for you to connect with.
5. Congratulations! You now have a LinkedIn Professional Profile: once you get the notification below on your browser screen, you have created your professional profile and the LinkedIn journey has began. Happy connections…
This is the first part of the “How To Set-Up A LinkedIn Profile” series. Watch this space in the days ahead for more, as we would be exploring LinkedIn professional profiles in deeper details.
Till next time, we are all work in progress…