Last week, we focused on the first five Moscow rules as they relate to Social Media Marketing. We will focus on the last five rules today. Kindly click here for the earlier publication. The short list as shown in the International Spy Museum summarized them in just 10 rules:
- Assume nothing.
- Never go against your gut.
- Everyone is potentially under opposition control.
- Don’t look back; you are never completely alone.
- Go with the flow, blend in.
- Vary your pattern and stay within your cover.
- Lull them into a sense of complacency.
- Don’t harass the opposition.
- Pick the time and place for action.
- Keep your options open.
Now let’s get down to the explanation of the remaing five rules:
- Vary your pattern and stay within your cover: You want people to know you and your product. You want to have a personal brand. The truth is that it is easier to dwell within your comfort zone when it comes to branding. The reality is that you could become boring and unaware of technology changes etc. Vary your pattern of approach. If possible, work with collaborators to spice up your banding style. Abilities are skills. Skills can be learned. Your abilities are not fixed.
- Lull them into a sense of complacency: This could be a bit tricky to implement. The usual marketing strategy is to put your best foot forward but it will be great to create some form of suspense that could speed up the authenticity of word of mouth marketing that would come directly from satisfied offline clients. In other words, ensure to under promise and over deliver.
- Don’t harass the opposition: Referring to rule three, you will know that anyone can be the opposition. In a situation where you find yourself being the opposition, the suggestion will be constructive criticism. The best outplay here will be for you to not just proffer criticisms but ensure to provide a positive alternative. Be seen as a solution provider and not a mere problem finder.
- Pick the time and place for action: Timing and location is absolutely important in strategy execution. You have to be aware of what is currently trending so as to conveniently align your branding to blend with that. You do not want to expend so much energy advertising when no one is paying attention. The time of execution and place could be seen as being more vital than the strategy being executed.
- Keep your options open: Keeping your options open means that you should try to be as flexible as may be required. You can create brand new opportunities by embracing brand new situations. You do not want to be caught unawares. Simulate and anticipate changes and also adaptation strategy that will see you soar high in the actual occurrence of such changes.