One of the major things being abused on social media is the use of hashtags, especially on Twitter. This is just one of the little mistakes people do on social media that makes them look stupid, as described in one of my post sometimes back. Today, I present you few of the mistakes I’ve seen people make when it comes to hashtags. You should avoid these:
- Never add a space to a hashtag: When you mean to write #IAmTheBest, never write “#I Am The Best”. Hashtags cannot contain spaces. This is not a ‘normal’ sentence where spaces should be used. I see this often and I just wonder why people do this. Well, now you know :).
- Punctuations: Hey, we know you’re a junkie of using the right punctuations always, but NOT HERE, please. Hashtags, for now, cannot include “.”, “.” “!” and the likes. Once you add a punctuation mark, it breaks your hashtag apart. For example, avoid writing #M!Spark” when you mean to write #MSpark.
- Know the right platform to use hashtag: See, not all social platforms accept hashtags, at least for now. For instance, its usually odd to find people using hashtags on Facebook. At least, wait till Facebook finally incorporates it into their system before you start hashing
- Avoid making a sentence with a hashtag: Please, please, it’s annoying when you say #ladiesbecarefulsoyoudontloseyoursanity when you can simply say “Ladies, be careful so you don’t lose your sanity”. Truth is long hashtags hardly make the desired impact. It’s often difficult to read a long hahtag ‘cos of the “no-space” rule.
- Space your words: Do not tweet “Iamthe#best”, tweet “I am the #best” instead. For it be recognized as a hashtag (by algorithms), there must be a space before the the “#” symbol
Well, we just hashed it out again. Don’t be selfish, send this link to any of your friends, followers etc that you see making this mistakes. You’ll be helping them, if you do. Emm, why not just share this post with your Twitter followers, friends etc so they can also learn who you just learnt. There’s love in sharing